Quantum Matter Theory Group
Prof. W. Vincent Liu
- Two visiting Scholars, Dr. Yonggang TAN and Dr. Jiemin WANG, from Luoyang Normal University arrived in Pitt in November 2016
- Biao Huang (new PhD from Ohio State University)
started in September 2016 as new postdoc in our group. Welcome, Biao!
- Former graduate student, Xiaopeng Li, became tenure-track
Associate Professor in Fudan University, Shanghai, China in
October 2016. Selected by China Young 1000-talent program in November
- Postdoc, Bo Liu, assumed the faculty position of Full Professorship in Xi'an Jiao Tong University, China in August 2016
- Three recent papers published in PRL - Weyl Superfluidity, Spin-Orbital Exchange in the p-band, Spontaneous QHE in Bose-Fermi Mixture. (4/1/2015)
- New Visiting Scholar from Wilczek Quantum Center at ZJUT,
Hangzhou, China, Dr. Xuguang Yue, arrived in Pitt on March 30,
2015. Welcome, Xuguang! (4/1/2015)
- Jan 2015, AFOSR selected Pitt-GMU renewal proposal for
funding next 5 years of joint research with Professor Erhai
Zhao's group, 2015-2020. (4/1/2015)
- Maksims (Max) Arzamasovs (a new PhD from U of Birmingham
UK) joined us in October as new postdoc and a first joint postdoc of
Pitt-PKU-ZJUT. Welcome, Max! (11/01/2014)
- Wilczek Quantum Center opened on Oct 17, 2014 in Zhejiang
University of Tech at Hangzhou, China. Liu asked to serve as
Director/Visiting Faculty. Press release and collection of media reports (sorry all in Chinese).
- Haiyuan ZOU (new PhD from U of Iowa, lattice gauge theory/model)
started in July 2014 as new postdoc in our group. Welcome,
Haiyuan! (news added 11/01/2014)
- Our "Spirals and Skyrmions in Oxide Heterostructures" work [PRL 112, 067202 (2014), with Leon Balents] selected as Research Highlight by Nature Nanotechnology 9, 245 (2014) [doi:10.1038/nnano.2014.83] (see PDF)
- Ahmet Keles (student of Professor Boris Spivak in U of
Washington, Seattle) will join us in Fall, 2014 as a new postdoc member
jointly with GMU/Prof. Erhai Zhao group. (3/12/2014)
- New publication: Nature Communications paper on chiral Bose liquid and quantum quench. ( Feb 2014)
- New PRL exploring "Spirals and Skyrmions in 2D LAO/STO Oxide interface", with Xiaopeng Li and Leon Balents. (Feb 2014)
- Dr. Zhifang XU (currently in the group of Prof. Ueda at U
of Tokyo) will join us in November, 2013 as a new postdoc member.
- Lijun Lang, exchange student from Inst of Physics from Beijing
(Prof. Shu CHEN group), visits us from March 2013 through March 2014.
- See us in Army Science Planning and Strategy Meeting on Quantum Information and Sensing in Potpmac, MD (Washington DC area) on Sep 24-25, 2013.
- Kaufman Foundation announced on 7/25/2013 the award of the
first series of New Initiative Research Grant to us (Liu), in
collaboration with Prof. Sergey Frolov (an outstanding young
experimentalist). See the News links: Post-Gazette, Arts & Science School, Pitt News, etc. Also mentioned in CMU Press Release. (07/29/13)
- Jinlong YU, an exchange student after completing a successful
one-term research in Pitt, returns to Tsinghua Univ in Beijing in late
- Tyler Dodds (U of Toronto) and Zhenyu Zhou (Washington Univ
St Louis) will join us in Summer/Fall, 2013 as new Postdoc members.
- See us in Dallas, TX in Symposium on Novel Topological Quantum Matter, Feb 25-26, 2013.
- Xiaopeng Li (grad student) is offered a JQI Postdoctoral Fellowship in Univ of Maryland. Congratulations! (02/12/13)
- New member, Jin-long Yu (exchange PhD student from Department of
Physics, Tsinghua University), joined the group on Feb 4, 2013.
- New postdoc, Dr. Bo Liu (2013, PhD, Peking Univ), started at Pitt on Feb 1, 2013. Welcome, Bo!
- See us in NORDITA workshop (Pushing the Boundaries with Cold Atoms), Stockholm, Sweden Jan-Feb, 2013. (01/12/13)
- Xiaopeng Li (grad student) starts 5--6 month visit at KITP Santa Barbara on Sunday Jan 13, 2013.
- Pitt Physics Departmental news about Xiaopeng Li. (01/11/13)
- Xiaopeng Li (grad student) is selected by KITP UC Santa Barbara as a Graduate Fellow for Spring 2013. (11/28/12)
- Our group participates in DARPA OLE review meeting in Miami Nov 26-28, 2012
- New postdoc, Bo LIU, will start in Pitt on Feb 1. Bo comes from Peking University in China. (11/10/12)
- New exchange student from Tsinghua University in China, Mr. Jin-Long Yu, will arrive in Pitt on Jan 1, 2013.
- Liu invited to participate in DARPA Workshop on correlated
materials Nov 7-8, 2012 in Arlington, VA, to explore future
collaborative program on optical lattices and materials sciences.
- Xiaopeng Li (grad student) received invitation to speak in the
2013 APS March Meeting, in an invited session on "cold atoms on higher
orbital bands" (Oct 31, 2012)
- Our group (WV Liu and Xiaopeng Li) participated in KITP "Quantum Dynamics in Far from Equilibrium Thermally Isolated Systems" Program in UC Santa Barbara, from Oct 7 to Nov 2, 2012.
- Zixu ZHANG graduated with PhD in Summer 2012. Zixu now works in Financial Industry as a physicist.
- In March 2012, the group was awarded a new grant by AFOSR, jointly with Professor Erhai Zhao in George Mason University.
- Our "topological semimetal" work published online on 20 Nov 2011 at Nature Physics.
Shown as one of "Top Content Downloaded" as of Dec 3. More background
physics may be found on our early News and Views article at Nature
Physics. Press releases at Pitt News, and Maryland/NIST JQI. More news stories may be found at Physics News.
- Dr. Bin Wang joined as new postdoc in September, 2011.
- Xiaopeng Li was awarded in March 2011 the Mellon Predoctoral
Fellowship by the University of Pittsburgh for academic year 2011-12.
Congratulations to Xiaopeng!!!
- Our group (all students) had an extended stay (Sep 2010 - May 2011) at KITP, UC Santa Barbara
- Liu on sabbatical at KITP, Santa Barbara, Aug 22, 2010 - June 10, 2011
- Our group will participant in the DARPA OLE Review meeting at the Lansdowne Resort VA, May 17--19, 2009. (5/1/09)
- Erhai Zhao (postdoc) accepted the faculty job offer from George Mason University, to start in Sep 2009. (5/1/09)
- Erhai Zhao (postdoc) was offered by George Mason University an
Assistant Professor job on Friday Feb 13, 2009. Congratulations
to Erhai!!! (02/16/09)
- Chungwei Lin officially starts his postdoc at Pitt on Feb 1, having finally received his working permit OPT card. (02/16/09)